Prince Albert of Monaco agreed to pay his troubled wife Charlene £10million a YEAR to make sure she fulfils her consort role after a year away from royal duties, French media claims
- French media claim Prince Albert has handed £10million to Princess Charlene
- Lump sum meant to encourage Princess, 44, to attend public events with him
- It comes as she spent nearly a year away from public eye recovering from illness
Prince Albert of Monaco has signed an ‘ultra-confidential contract’ to pay his troubled wife Charlene more than £10m a year to fulfil her Royal duties, it was claimed today.
Leading French media reported that the 64-year-old ruler of the tax haven Mediterranean principality was doing everything possible to keep Princess Charlene, 44, ‘at his side at public events’.
It follows her return following a long period of illness that included almost a year away in her native South Africa and then months of treatment in Switzerland.
Major French outlets that specialise in celebrity news said Charlene’s sudden re-appearance at the weekend was welcomed by all Royal watchers.
‘But the Princess did not return at any price,’ magazine Voici reported. ‘She would have had her husband sign an ultra-confidential contract.’
Conditions include Albert paying Charlene ‘12 million euros [£10.2m] per year’, the outlet claims.
Leading French media reported that the 64-year-old Prince Albert of Monaco is doing everything possible to keep Princess Charlene, 44, ‘at his side at public events,’ including paying her £10million (pictured at
The revelations were followed up by rival publication Paris Match Belgium, which writes: ‘Prince Albert would himself pay a tidy sum to the princess so that she appears at his side at public events.’
Events that Charlene could now be contractually obliged to attend include the F1 Grand Prix and the Rose charity ball.
The Royal Palace in Monte Carlo refuses to discuss specific financial arrangements, but the principality pays out some £40m a year to cover the institution’s running costs.
Royals are not salaried officials, however, meaning that Charlene would be reliant on Albert – a billionaire in his own right – for her own spending money.
In late April, Charlene made her first appearance in months with her Family at the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship
A Royal insider based in Monte Carlo told Mail Online: ‘Of course the Princess enjoys huge perks, but ready cash is not guaranteed.
‘She’s been through a very difficult time, so it would make sense for Charlene to try and secure her own guaranteed income.’
Charlene and her husband appeared with their seven-year-old twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques, at the Sainte Dévote Rugby Tournament last Saturday.
And last week, Charlene also joined the rest of her family at the Monaco E-Prix 2022.
Before this, Zimbabwe-born Charlene and Albert were rarely seen together since she spent some 10 months in South Africa last year.
Princess Charlene looked solemn on Saturday as she appeared at an official engagement with her husband Prince Albert of Monaco for the second consecutive week
The former Olympic swimmer had contracted a sinus infection during a solo charity trip, and the illness left her hospitalised.
Charlene finally returned to Monaco last November, but then left for Switzerland to receive treatment for what the Palace called ‘profound general fatigue’.
There have been reports of a rift between the Prince and Princess ever since their high-profile marriage in 2011.
At the time, Charlene was dubbed the ‘Runaway Bride’ by the French media after allegedly trying to flee before the wedding, but the reports were always denied.
Distinguished Royal expert Stephane Bern is among those who have speculated that Charlene’s health is often used to try and disguise relationship problems.
Prince Albert and Princess Charlene pictured together during her time in South Africa
Princess Charlene returned to Monaco in November, following a 10-month absence in her native South Africa, before being admitted to a treatment centre abroad. This photo was released to mark the reunion
‘The Palace has had to invoke a suffering princess so often that the Monegasques today find it hard to believe,’ he wrote in Paris Match last year. ‘By crying wolf, the mother of Jacques and Gabriella has discredited and isolated herself.’
Albert was hit with a legal claim for cash by an alleged illegitimate child in December 2020, and soon afterwards Charlene shaved half her head in the style of a punk rocker.
There were allegations that Albert had fathered a love-child with an unnamed Brazilian woman during the time when he and Charlene were already in a relationship.
The woman said she met the Prince in a nightclub in Rio de Janeiro in 2004, and that their daughter, who is now a 16-year-old Brazilian schoolgirl, sent a handwritten note to Albert.
In turn, Albert’s legal team branded the allegations ‘a hoax, and they never went to court – prompting speculation that the case was settled privately.
The Prince has admitted fathering two other children out of wedlock – Jazmin Grace Grimaldi, who is now 30 and the result of Albert’s affair with an American estate agent, and Alexandre Coste, 18, whose mother is a former Togolese air hostess.
Both children were struck off Monaco’s line of succession in return for financial settlements.
Charlene told France’s Point de Vue magazine last January: ‘When my husband has problems, he tells me about it. I often tell him, “No matter what, I’m a thousand percent behind you. I’ll stand by you whatever you do, in good times or in bad”.’
Timeline: Prince Albert and Princess Charlene’s year apart
January 27 – Charlene is pictured with Albert for the Sainte Devote Ceremony in Monaco.
March 18 – Charlene is pictured at the memorial for the late Zulu monarch, King Goodwill Zwelithini at the KwaKhethomthandayo Royal Palace in Nongoma, South Africa
April 2 – Charlene posts an Instagram picture of herself, Albert and their twins Jacques and Gabriella for Easter.
It is unknown where the image was taken.
May 8 – Albert, Jacques and Gabriella attend a Grand Prix event in Monaco without Charlene
May 10 – Albert attends Monaco Gala Awards in Monaco without Charlene
May 18 – Charlene shares her first picture from her conservation trip in South Africa
June 1 – Prince Albert II, Jacques and Gabriella attend event at Oceanic Museum in Monaco
June 3 – New photos emerge of Charlene on her conservation trip
June 5- Charlene puts on a united front as she shares a photo with her family to mark her niece’s fifth birthday with her brother’s family and Albert and the twins in South Africa
June 7 – Albert and the twins attend the World Rugby Sevens without Charlene
June 17 – Prince Albert attends Red Cross Summer concert in Monte Carlo with his sister Princess Caroline of Hanover
June 18 – Prince Albert appears alone Monte Carlo TV Festival
June 24 – Charlene’s foundation releases a statement saying the royal is unable to travel and is undergoing procedures for an ear, nose and throat infection
July 2 – Charlene and Albert mark their 10th anniversary separately. ‘This year will be the first time that I’m not with my husband on our anniversary in July, which is difficult, and it saddens me,’ Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene said in a statement.
July 3 – Albert appears with glamorous niece Charlotte Casiraghi at the 15th international Monte-Carlo Jumping event, which is part of the Longines Global Champions Tour of Monaco,
July 27 – Prince Albert attends Olympics alone in Tokyo
August 13 – Charlene undergoes a four-hour operation. The reason is not announced
August 25 – Charlene shares photos of Prince Albert, Gabriella and Jacques visiting her in South Africa
September 1 – Charlene is admitted under an alias to the Netcare Alberlito Hospital after suddenly ‘collapsing’
September 2 – She is discharged, with a statement from the Palais Princier reading: ‘Her Highness is closely monitored by Her medical team who said that Her condition was not worrying’
September 23 – Prince Albert attends the 2021 Monte Carlo Gala for Planetary Health
September 29 – Prince Albert is joined on the red carpet by actress Sharon Stone for a first look at the eagerly anticipated James Bond release
September 30 – Charlene releases a stylish video promoting her anti-poaching campaign from her South African bolthole
October 3 – Princess Charlene shares a photograph of herself smiling in front of a bible in her first snap since being discharged from hospital following her health scare
October 5 – Prince Albert attends Sportel Awards Ceremony in Monte Carlo with nephew Louis Ducruet
October 6 – Albert tells RMC radio Charlene is ‘ready to come home’
October 8 – Princess undergoes surgery in South Africa
November 8 – Charlene arrives back in Monaco. Prince Albert said within hours it became clear she was ‘unwell’
November 13 – Prince Albert attends Expo 2020 in Dubai without Princess Charlene
Following his return from the trip, Prince Albert holds an intervention with Charlene’s brothers and a sister-in-law in which Charlene ‘confirmed’ she would seek ‘real medically framed treatment’ outside of Monaco
November 16 – Royal household confirms Princess Charlene will not attend National Day celebrations on
November 19 – Prince Albert attends a Monaco Red Cross event without Princess Charlene
November 17 – Prince Albert reveals Princess Charlene has left Monaco and is recovering in a secret location
November 19 – Prince Albert reveals Charlene is in a treatment facility ‘elsewhere in Europe’ after a family intervention
January 25 – Charlene celebrates her birthday alone outside of Monaco
January 26 – Prince Albert is joined by his children and sister without Charlene at St Devote’s Day
February 27 – Prince Albert and his two children attend AS Monaco football match without Princess Charlene
March 14 – The royal palace announced Charlene had returned to Monaco.
April 17 – Palace released Easter Sunday family portrait of couple with their seven-year-old twins Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques
Source: Read Full Article