CORONAVIRUS continues to spread across the globe, with cases being reported in the UK.
Many sporting events have already been cancelled or played in front of no fans – with more expected over the coming days.
The Premier League has already issued a ban on pre-match handshakes, but fans are still allowed in after chiefs held crunch talks with the government.
But two Six Nations matches have been postponed on the final weekend of the tournament.
Follow all the latest news and information on how the outbreak is affecting sport…
SERIE A SUSPENDED
All Italian sport at any level has been called off until April 3 at the earliest.
The ban will hit Serie A matches but not Italian teams in international competitions.
Serie A had already said all games would be played behind closed doors this month.
A spokesman for the Italian Olympiccommitteesaid: “This situation has no precedent in history.”
WOLVES fans have been left devastated after it was confirmed their Europa League last-16 tie against Olympiacos will be played behind closed doors.
The outbreak of coronavirus has led to many sporting events either being postponed or being played without fans.
Club officials at Wolverhampton Wanderers confirmed the news in a statement:
It read: “A statement from the Greek government was published yesterday outlining the suspension, which is in place between Monday 9th March and Sunday 22nd March, however Uefa, Olympiacos and Wolves sought clarification on whether this fixture would be affected.
“Unfortunately, the decision has now been confirmed and all parties must submit to the official ruling imposed by the relevant Greek authorities.”
EDDIE HEARN has been forced to cancel his upcoming boxing show in Italy due to coronavirus.
The Matchroom boss, who has guided Anthony Joshua's mega-money career, had a card booked for Verona at the end of the month.
But the nationwide ban on sporting events in the country has wrecked his upcoming show.
Northern Italy, where Verona is found, has been particularly hit by the virus.
The main event was between Belgium's Francesco Patera and Italy's Devis Boschiero.
And Birmingham super-bantamweight Gal Yafai was scheduled to be the only Brit on the bill, fighting for the European title.
A Matchroom statement said: “The World Championship boxing event scheduled for March 27 in Verona, Italy, at the AGSM Forum, has been postponed due to the recent ban by the Italian government of all sports events until April 3.
“The show promoted by Opi Since 82, Matchroom Boxing Italy and DAZN will be rescheduled as soon as health regulations allow.
“The main event will remain the vacant Interim WBA World Lightweight Title clash between Francesco Patera and Devis Boschiero.
“Opi Since 82 and Matchroom Boxing Italy are also working to reschedule the show which should have taken place in Milan on February 28.
“Given the unprecedented nature of this now global issue, we are unable to offer more clarity on new dates.”
The FA will axe the 3pm blackout if matches are forced behind closed doors because of the coronavirus outbreak, according to reports.
Legislation currently bans three o'clock matches from being televised, in a bid to protect attendances – particularly at EFL games.
But if fans can no longer attend matches, it is likely that the blackout will be lifted.
And according to The Times, Sky and BT could be forced to air games for FREE – as the government desperately tries to prevent big crowds from congregating to watch their teams.
Lewis Hamilton was taking no chances as he flew to Australia ahead of the F1 season opener this weekend.
The reigning world champion posted a picture of himself wearing a mask with fears over the spread of coronavirus.
Race officials confirmed Sunday's event in Melbourne would go ahead as planned with more than 100,000 fans expected.
And it seems Hamilton was taking measures to prevent himself from catching the virus on his flight to Australia.
Source: Read Full Article