Disneyland to close doors until April due to coronavirus outbreak

Disneyland to close doors until April due to coronavirus outbreak

Disneyland Resort in California is closing its doors due to coronavirus.

Walt Disney Co said it was responding to an executive order by the Governor of California, which limits public gatherings to 250 people in a bid to halt the spread of covid-19.

The Disneyland Resort, commonly known as Disneyland, is in Anaheim, California and is home to two theme parks – Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure.

It also comprises three hotels, a leisure complex and the Downtown Disney shopping, dining and entertainment complex.

Disney Parks News said that though there were no reported cases of COVID-19 at the Disneyland Resort, they were closing the parks until April.

They said in a statement: "We are proceeding with the closure of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure, beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month."

Do you have a coronavirus story? Email webnews@mirror.co.uk


  • Coronavirus: MSC Cruises cancels cruises across eight ships – see the full list

  • Coronavirus pandemic: Schools won't close but will be made to ban foreign trips

The park will close on Saturday until the end of the month.

The resort said refunds will be provided to anyone who have made bookings for during the closure period.

The statement added: "The Hotels of Disneyland Resort will remain open until Monday, March 16 to give guests the ability to make necessary travel arrangements; Downtown Disney will remain open.

For updates on the coronavirus outbreak, read our live blog .


  • Coronavirus: Boris Johnson warns 'many families will lose loved ones' because of virus

"We will monitor the ongoing situation and follow the advice and guidance of federal and state officials and health agencies.

"Disney will continue to pay cast members during this time.

"Disneyland Resort will work with guests who wish to change or cancel their visits, and will provide refunds to those who have hotel bookings during this closure period."

California is banning mass gatherings of 250 people or more until the end of March in response to the coronavirus outbreak, the office of governor Gavin Newsom said late on Wednesday.

The health experts in the state advised that smaller events could be held if organisers implemented social distancing of six feet (two metres) per person, the governor's office said in a statement.

California registered its fourth fatality on Wednesday.

The 65-year-old theme park in Anaheim, California, has suspended operations on only three previous occasions.

The theme park employs roughly 31,000 people and previously closed its doors in 1963 for a national day of mourning after the assassination of President Kennedy, in 1994 after the Northridge Earthquake and after the September 11 attacks.

Elsewhere, in New York, Broadway suspended all of its shows for a month after Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a ban of all gatherings of more than 500 people.

Yesterday, two more staff at Disneyland in Paris tested positive for coronavirus days after another worker was confirmed to have the bug.

The popular tourist resort confirmed the new cases, but said the three have had no contact with guests.

Disney's European premiere of "Mulan" in London's Leicester Square will be scaled down "in an abundance of caution", with no media line-up or red carpet, organizers said on Thursday.

Leicester Square is a popular spot for major film premieres, where stars are cheered by fans and walk the red carpet before going into the cinema.

Thousands of people filled the square for the premiere of "Star Trek" in January this year.

Source: Read Full Article