Dom Phillips: Two suspects admit killing and dismembering Brit journalist, 57, & guide in Amazon | The Sun

Dom Phillips: Two suspects admit killing and dismembering Brit journalist, 57, & guide in Amazon | The Sun

TWO men have reportedly confessed to killing and dismembering British journalist Dom Phillips and and his Brazilian guide Bruno Pereira.

Foreign correspondent Phillips, 57, and his guide Pereira, 41, vanished in the Amazon earlier this month. 




They are believed to have last been seen early on June 5 in the Sao Rafael community.

The suspects are fisherman Amarildo da Costa – known as Pelado – and his 41-year-old brother Oseney da Costa – known as Dos Santos.

The two Brazilian suspects confessed to killing the two men on Wednesday, local broadcaster Band News reports.

Amarildo was arrested last week on weapons charges, while Oseney was taken into custody on Tuesday night.

Read more world news

Veterans captured in Ukraine by Russia become first prisoners of war from US

Keeper dies after tiger savages his arm when he stuck his hand into cage

According to ABC News, police have honed in their investigation on members of Brazil's "fish mafia".

Cops said they are still looking for Mr Phillips and Mr Pereira.

It was widely reported that the bodies of the pair had been found "tied to a tree" – but cops denied this and claimed no bodies have been discovered in the search in the Amazon.

According to The Guardian, Mr Phillips' family received a call from an aide to the ambassador on Monday saying their bodies had been discovered tied to trees in the rainforest.

Most read in News

CASA A-BORE

Keir Starmer mocked for cringe Love Island jokes after being blasted as boring

SAVAGE SLAUGHTER

Pregnant woman, 22, found BEHEADED while family planned her baby shower

'COKE KINGPIN'

One of Britain's most wanted men, 32, arrested at hotel with 'fake passport'

RWANDA’S GROUNDED

European human rights judges ground Rwanda flight MINUTES before take-off

But Mr Phillips' brother-in-law, Paul Sherwood, said ambassador Fred Arruda had written to the family to say the statement was incorrect.

Mr Arruda said: "We are deeply sorry the embassy passed on to the family yesterday information that did not prove correct."

He said the embassy had been "misled" by information it had received from "investigating officials".

Mr Arruda added: "The search operation will go on, with no efforts being spared."

Police said personal items belonging to the two missing men were found in a river on Sunday.

They said they found a backpack and a pair of boots belonging to Mr Phillips, as well as a health card, black trousers, a black sandal and a pair of boots belonging to Mr Pereira.

Locals who were with Phillips and Pereira before they disappeared claimed Paledo brandished a rifle at the pair the day before they disappeared.

Another witness described him as a "very dangerous man".

Mr Phillips and Mr Pereira were on a reporting trip in the remote jungle area on the border between Peru and Colombia that is home to the world's largest number of uncontacted indigenous people.

The wild and lawless region has lured cocaine-smuggling gangs, along with illegal loggers, miners and hunters.

The streets of Atalaia do Norte, the largest riverside town near where the men were last seen, have grown busy in recent days with soldiers in camouflaged trucks, along with the distant sound of helicopters absent earlier this week.

By last Friday, some 150 soldiers had been deployed via riverboats to hunt for the missing men and interview locals.

Read More on The Sun

Fashion fans go wild for Asda’s green skirt that’s perfect for summer

Our neighbour built extension touching our home – now we must pay HER £130k

Indigenous search teams have been looking for the two men since last Sunday.

Boris Johnson said the Foreign Office was working closely now with the Brazilian authorities following the disappearance of Mr Phillips.

    Source: Read Full Article