A YOUNG woman who was left comatose by a boob job-gone-wrong has died 14 months after the procedure.
Emmalyn Nguyen passed away on Sunday, October 4, a week before friends and family of the teen said their final goodbyes at DeWitt & Tabler Funeral Home in Thornton, Colorado.
The Colorado teen's death was publicized on the day of her funeral, KDVR reported.
A private service, which had attendees wear masks and follow social distancing guidelines, was held for Emmalyn on Sunday – prior to her cremation.
Emmalyn's tragic breast enhancement surgery took place on August 1, 2019.
She was 18 years old at the time of the procedure – which ultimately left her in a nursing home with a feeding tube and an oxygen machine until she died.
Emmalyn was left unattended after she was given anesthesia during the cosmetic surgery performed by Dr Geoffrey Kim in August, according to a lawsuit filed by her family and obtained by The Sun.
The procedure was only supposed to last for two hours, but Emmalyn's mom, Lynn Fam, began to have a "weird feeling" as the procedure stretched into the afternoon.
Dr Kim stepped in to try and reassure the worried mom, telling her that everything was "fine" and that her daughter was "healthy."
"Emmalyn is fine, everything is good. She's young, she's healthy, she'll be okay, it's just taking her long to wake up," the doctor had said, according to Lynn.
Her mother claims in her lawsuit that staff members at Colorado Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery misled her about what actually happened on in the operating room.
According to the complaint, medical officials allegedly neglected to call 911 even though the teen was "neurologically unresponsive."
It was later revealed that Dr Kim's staff waited five hours to call 911, court documents claim.
Rex Meeker, the nurse anesthetist who gave Emmalyn the anesthesia, eventually called paramedics, court docs allege.
The lawsuit, filed by Lynn Fam and Sonny Nguyen in Arapahoe County, claims their daughter had gone into cardiac arrest and stopped breathing before the start of the procedure, Fox affiliate KDVR reported last year.
The suit blames Dr Kim and Meeker of gross negligence.
Emmalyn's parents' attorney, David Woodruff of Denver Trial Lawyers, said last year: “What should have been a very standard procedure turned into a nightmare for her and her family.
“She was left unobserved. No one watched her for about 15 minutes.
"A nurse comes into the room and finds her blue.”
He explained that Emmalyn would have to "remain in a nursing home essentially non-functional with someone feeding her through a tube for the next 50 years."
Following Emmalyn's passing, Woodruff reportedly told the news outlet: "The lawsuit will continue as awrongful death lawsuit."
He added: “Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States.
"Emmalyn’s parents believe it is important to tell Emmalyn’s story, not only to bring her some justice but also to help prevent this from ever happening to another patient.”
Source: Read Full Article