Family is ‘distraught’ as beloved spaniel dies after being terrified by Bonfire Night fireworks and running out into the road
- Garry Hamilton, 58, from Cardiff, Wales, said that his family is now ‘devastated’
- Five-year-old Cadi ran out of the garden after being spooked by noisy fireworks
- The family received the tragic news after someone brought in the dog to the vet
A Cardiff family is ‘distraught’ and ‘devastated’ over the loss of their pet dog which was run over and killed last night after being spooked by noisy fireworks.
Garry Hamilton, 58, described how a local vet broke the news to them after five-year-old Cadi, who lived with him and his wife Ceri near Roath Park, was brought in by someone.
The couple let the Cocker Springer Spaniel cross out into the garden to relieve herself when a series of loud explosions scared her and caused her to bolt.
Five-year-old Cadi ran out from the garden, breaking through the wooden fence, after being spooked by fireworks
Garry Hamilton, 58, said that the whole family are devastated, with his daughter Caitlin calling the pet her father’s ‘reason to get up early each morning’
The family said she broke through the garden’s wooden fence and was later spotted running panicked around the nearby recreation ground.
Mr Hamilton said: ‘It was all quiet when we let her out, but it suddenly got very noisy very quickly.
‘She must have freaked out and escaped somehow, but before I could go and look for her I got word that she’d been hit by a car and killed.
The family warned that pet owners to ‘keep a close eye on their animals’ even though Bonfire Night is over
The family said they are ‘distraught’ and ‘devastated’ over the loss
Mr Hamilton said: ‘She must have freaked out and escaped somehow, but before I could go and look for her I got word that she’d been hit by a car and killed’
‘Someone must have taken her to the local vet who, having found our details on Cadi’s microchip, called us with the awful news.’
The father-of-two said the whole family is devastated, with his daughter Caitlin calling the pet her Mr Hamilton’s ‘reason to get up early each morning’.
He added: ‘We’re distraught, she was such a fantastic dog, very affectionate. I loved our walks together.
‘I just want to warn other pet owners that, even though Bonfire Night is over, to keep a close eye on their animals.
‘People will still be setting off fireworks in the run up to Christmas and we don’t want what happened to Cadi happening to anyone else’s dog.’
Source: Read Full Article