Family of boy who died from allergic reaction remember 'worst day'

Family of boy who died from allergic reaction remember 'worst day'

Family of British boy, seven, who died from allergic reaction to dairy while on holiday in Italy after bistro served him pasta containing milk remain haunted by ‘worst day of their lives’ six years on

  • Cameron Wahid, seven, suffered severe anaphylactic shock from spaghetti dish
  • It was made with milk at a restaurant in Ravello on the Amalfi Coast in Italy
  • Parents Cassandra and Rizwan warned staff that Cameron could not have dairy
  • But waitress did not understand their request and assured them it was safe
  • Cameron collapsed and went into shock before suffering a cardiac arrest

The family of a British schoolboy who died from an allergic reaction to dairy in a pasta dish while on holiday in Italy remain haunted by the ‘worst day of their lives’ six years on. 

Cameron Wahid, seven, suffered a severe anaphylactic shock from eating spaghetti made with milk at a restaurant in the town of Ravello on the Amalfi Coast, where he was spending half-term with his family in 2015. 

His parents Cassandra and Rizwan Wahid, both 43, warned staff that Cameron could not have any cheese or dairy products.

But the waitress did not understand their request and assured them the pasta Cameron was served was safe. 

Cameron Wahid (pictured), seven, suffered a severe anaphylactic shock from eating spaghetti made with milk at a restaurant in the town of Ravello on the Amalfi Coast, where he was spending half-term with his family in 2015

After finishing their meal, the family got back on their tour bus. 

It was there that Cameron collapsed and went into shock in front of his parents and younger brother Aidan – before suffering a cardiac arrest in the main square.

Mrs Wahid, who works as a nurse, managed to give her son an EpiPen, but it was too late.

The schoolboy died three days later on October 30, 2015, in a hospital around 35 miles away in Naples.

Now, Cameron’s parents are calling for lessons to be learned from his death.

Mr Wahid has started working as an ambassador with Allergy UK, Britain’s leading charity providing support to people with allergies.

He said this week: ‘Cameron’s allergy had always been severe, but we were so careful with him and scrupulous with what he ate.

‘Prior to his allergic reaction, we were assured by the waiting staff that the food was safe for him.

‘To see him going into anaphylactic shock and suffering like that was undoubtedly the worst experience of our lives.

‘He was such a lovely little boy, and always brightened up our days.’

After his tragic death, the family went on to fight a long legal battle against the La Margherita Villa Giuseppina restaurant.

Restaurant boss Ester Di Lascio was found guilty of culpable manslaughter by an Italian court in Salerno in September 2019. She was handed a two-year suspended jail sentence.

Di Lascio did not properly highlight the possible allergic reactions caused by ingredients in dishes on the restaurant’s menu, the court found.

The pasta Cameron ate was served with a tomato sauce that had been prepared with milk by chef Luigi Cioffi, who was later cleared of any wrongdoing.

His parents Cassandra and Rizwan Wahid, both 43, warned staff at the Ravello (file image, pictured) restaurant that Cameron could not have any cheese or dairy products

The family from East Grinstead in West Sussex were awarded £288,000 (Euro 325,000) compensation by the court.

Mr Wahid added: ‘We feel his death was avoidable and we are still struggling to come to terms with him not being here anymore.

‘We know nothing will bring him back, but we want to help stop others from suffering the pain we continue to feel.

‘People need to know how serious allergies can be, and we will continue to work in raising much-needed awareness.

‘We are grateful that the case is now at an end, and want to thank everyone for all the support we have had.

‘For us, everything has been about using the criminal trial process in Italy to ensure that justice was obtained for Cameron, which we have done, as well as to establish facts and ensure lessons are learned so that others don’t have to suffer like we have.’ 

Daniel Matchett, the specialist international serious injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing the family, said: ‘The past few years have been incredibly difficult for Cameron’s family, after having to see him die from an allergic reaction which could and should have been prevented.

‘Cassandra and Rizwan were always very careful with controlling Cameron’s allergies, and losing him has had such a devastating impact on them.

‘While they cannot turn back the clock and change what happened, Cassandra and Rizwan want to make people aware that allergies are potentially life-threatening to help ensure that no others go through what they have.’

Source: Read Full Article