Kenosha cop who shot Jacob Blake will not be charged: DA
National Guard deployed to Kenosha on eve of Jacob Blake decision
Kenosha braces for unrest before ruling on Jacob Blake shooting
Accused Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse released on $2M bond
Jacob Blake, the black Wisconsin father shot seven times by a white police officer, said he immediately thought of his children as the gunshots rang out, believing he was about to see them for the last time.
Blake — who was left partially paralyzed in the Aug. 23 shooting that prompted protests in Kenosha and other cities calling for police reform — said he “kinda went limp” when Officer Rusten Sheskey opened fire as he responded to a report of a domestic disturbance at the home of Blake’s alleged victim in a prior sexual assault.
“And all I remember at that point was kinda leanin’ back, lookin’ at my boys,” Blake told “Good Morning America” in an interview Thursday. “I said, ‘Daddy love you, no matter what. I thought it was going to be the last thing I say to them. Thank God it wasn’t.”
Blake said two of his children witnessed the shooting, which led to no officers being charged, prosecutors announced last week. Kenosha District Attorney Michael Graveley said Sheskey would not face criminal charges “based on the facts and the laws” following a review of more than 40 hours of video and 1,600 pages of documents.
Cops who responded to the domestic call were met by an agitated Blake, who was holding a knife at the time, Graveley said. The officer believed Blake was “going to stab him with the knife” as he tried to stop him from fleeing the scene, the prosecutor said.
“I do not believe the state … would be able to prove that the privilege of self-defense is not available,” Graveley said while announcing his Jan. 5 decision.
Source: Read Full Article