Murder probe launched after widower, 76, found 'slumped in doorway' of home – as cops arrest two men

Murder probe launched after widower, 76, found 'slumped in doorway' of home – as cops arrest two men

TWO men have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a widower was found dead in the doorway of his home on New Year's Day.

The men, 43 and 51, are being quizzed by police following the death of Malcolm Frary, 76, in Blackpool.

Neighbours said the victim was found "slumped" by his door in Eccleston Road at 4.35pm on Saturday.

The cause of his death has not yet been revealed by cops.

However, one local who spoke to detectives said he'd been told Mr Frary suffered a fatal head injury.

The neighbour, who did not want to be named, told the Blackpool Gazette: "The first police officer who came round asked me if I had seen anything suspicious.

"And they said the window had been kicked in, and they found him slumped on the floor with a head injury at the back of the door."

Pictures from the scene show one of the homes in the small terraced street has police tape across a broken pane of glass in the front door.


Officers have been at the scene since Mr Frary's body was found.

"On Saturday, there must have been seven or eight police cars, and police walking up and down," the neighbour said.

"There have been police in boiler suits going in and out."

Mr Frary, a former engineer, was a father-of-four who had lived in the house for at least 40 years, it's believed.

He had reportedly been living alone since the death of his wife around 20 years ago.

A 67-year-old woman who lives close by said: "He was a very quiet, unassuming man.


"He kept himself to himself, especially after his wife died.

"He enjoyed his model boats."

She said she saw the front door of Mr Frary's home standing open on New Year's Day.

"When we came back, we saw the police and Malcolm's house was taped off," she said.

"We assumed it was a break-in. It was the next day we went to ask if Malcolm was all right, and that was how we were told.

"We're still in shock. The fact that we were in our homes and he was in such frightening circumstances. What an awful way for his life to end."

We're in shock – what an awful way for his life to end

A 43-year-old from Blackpool was arrested on the day Mr Frary's body was found.

The second man was arrested yesterday.

Detective Chief Inspector Lee Wilson, of Lancashire Police, said: "My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with Mr Frary's family at this sad and very difficult time.

"A murder investigation has been launched and we are keen to identify as many witnesses as possible.

'While we have made two arrests, we are particularly keen to speak to anyone who can assist our inquiries."

He urged locals to "think long and hard" about whether they've seen any "unusual activity or persons acting suspiciously" between New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

Most read in News


Prince Andrew accuser's secret $500k deal with Jeffrey Epstein is RELEASED


Normal life may be back in 60 DAYS as Omicron is ending pandemic, says health boss


Brits desperate to rent £3k beach huts queue in cold for hours & camp OVERNIGHT


Britain to remain lockdown-free as Covid data is reviewed, says Boris

"Any information, no matter how seemingly small or insignificant, could be vital to our investigation," he said.

"I would like to reassure members of the public that any information they give will be treated in confidence."

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting log 1276 of January 1.

    Source: Read Full Article