A slice of a new life! Home Office spent £7,000 of taxpayers’ cash on 700 Domino’s pizzas for Channel migrants in just TWO DAYS last week as record numbers arrived in Dover
- Officials are said to have bought around 700 pizzas over the course of two days
- Border Force ordered emergency food after being ‘completely overwhelmed’
- 4,000 migrants arrived in first 11 days of November – double the expected
A Dover branch of fast food chain Domino’s was forced to close last week after Border Force officers ordered hundreds of pizzas to feed migrants who had crossed the Channel.
Officials are said to have bought around 700 pizzas over the course of two days at a cost of more than £7,000.
This figure was more than the agency spent on pizza for migrants in the whole of July.
According to The Times, Border Force said they had to order emergency food supplies after being ‘completely overwhelmed’ by the record number of crossings from France last week.
Nearly 4,000 migrants arrived in the first 11 days of November – more than double the figure that the Home Office had expected.
A Dover branch of fast food chain Domino’s was forced to close last week after Border Force officers ordered hundreds of pizzas to feed migrants who had crossed the Channel
Border Force is unable to provide cooked hot food at its Tug Haven facility in Dover, meaning that meals have to be bought in.
On Wednesday, Border Force officers reportedly bought 200 pizzas from Domino’s to feed the 703 migrants who had arrived.
On Thursday, the figure rose to 500 pizzas to feed the record 1,185 new arrivals.
It is believed that each pizza cost £10, meaning the overall figure was £7,000.
It was also reported that officials ordered two burger vans to provide other options to migrants after some complained that kebabs provided by a local takeaway shop had been cold on arrival.
Last week, it emerged that 3,000 chicken shish kebabs were ordered for £14.50 from four Turkish restaurants dotted across Kent.
Staff said they were rushed off their feet trying to prepare the huge order for morning and evening meals for those at the Tug Haven Border Force camp.
Stacks of empty boxes were shoved in bin bags and left along with other rubbish by the holding area, with one Mighty Meaty – which cost up to £17.99 – strewn all across the ground with the garlic dip still sealed.
Officials are said to have bought around 700 pizzas over the course of two days at a cost of more than £7,000
A note on one of the pizza orders said: ‘This was an urgent need to feed a large number of migrants that had been on the Tug Haven compound in Dover for over 12 hours, and were likely to stay over 24 hours due to issues blocking their movement with resources and the Irc [immigration removal centre] estate.’
Another added: ‘Purchased by Clandestine Operational Response Team (Cort) for use at Tug Haven where we have migrants arriving on small boats.
‘Due to the high number of migrants arriving and the length of time they had not eaten, it was agreed to purchase 200 pizzas.’
A lorry driver who works in the area said that when he drove through last night it sounded like the migrants were having a party – laughing and eating pizza.
A Home Office spokesperson said: ‘We are committed to delivering the best value for money for the British taxpayer.
‘We ensure all spending is carefully scrutinised to make sure that every pound of taxpayers’ money is spent in the most effective way.’
Last night, the the Home Secretary vowed to stop ‘100 per cent’ of migrant crossings after online crisis talks with her French counterparts.
This figure was more than the agency spent on pizza for migrants in the whole of July
Priti Patel was due to meet Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin in person on Tuesday amid a war of words between London and Paris following a recent surge of migrant crossings.
But the Home Secretary cancelled the planned trip to France following a suicide bombing outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital on Remembrance Sunday.
A joint statement released by the Home Office also said they also discussed the mounting migrant crisis in eastern Europe which Britain accused Belarus and Russia of engineering to undermine European unity.
Miss Patel and Mr Darmanin said: ‘Tonight, the Home Secretary spoke to her French counterpart Gerald Darmanin to discuss the problem of small boats crossing the Channel and the operational response to it.
‘Both the Home Secretary and Interior Minister agreed to strengthen operational cooperation further. More must be done to stop the dangerous crossings.
‘They agreed to accelerate the delivery of the commitments made in the joint agreement of July 2021 to deliver on their joint determination to prevent 100 per cent of crossings and make this deadly route unviable.’
Source: Read Full Article